grcardsim: fails with "bad echo value"

Marek Sebera marek.sebera at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 09:17:59 UTC 2018

Hi Harald,

thank you, I'll be happy to provide patches, as soon as I learn how to
communicate with card.

Is there anything to start with? Supplier just told us they obtained the
SIM cards from "http://www.copysim.cn" and there is no reference to
recommended software for programming these cards.

I did obtain some informations using various utilities, but all I can
now do is to study "ETSI TS 102 221" and implement the
card-commands-discovery or bruteforce myself.

Or am I wrong, and I've missed some utilities that could aid my fight?

I've wrote some shell using both pySim and mitshell/card frameworks, and
I've confirmed few things (ie. available commands, and CLA being 0x00,
which means these cards are USIM), but passwords for ADM1 PIN (12345678,
44444444, 00000000) do not work. Also card partially responds to CLA
0x80, which probably indicates the availability of proprietary PDUs, as
mentioned in grcardsim wiki. Is there any better tool, or am I using
best available ones?

Also mentioning the "bad echo value", is this related to implementation
of specific sim-card, the usb reader/writer (possibly faulty) or the sim
card? Because something as simple as ping/pong (or at least this is what
it seems like from code) should not fail generally, and it occurs only
when I provide "pin_adm" (adm1) and using grcardsim and sysmoUSIM-SJS1
(prefered).

Thank you
Marek