Help required for non-sync Handover

Mychaela Falconia mychaela.falconia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 18:34:23 UTC 2018

I've already responded to Muhammad off-list, but I feel that everyone
else should be aware of it too: if anyone needs to know how a GSM MS
should implement handover or any other of the myriad features not
supported by OsmocomBB, you should study the official GSM MS firmware
source code from some mainstream reputable GSM MS chipset+firmware
vendor such as FreeCalypso (former TI), MediaTek or Qualcomm, and see
how they do it.

I don't know whether or not one can get the official firmware source
from Qualcomm or MTK (not my personal area of interest - after all,
they are my competitors), but the complete source code for the
official GSM MS firmware from TI (which most certainly has working
handovers of all types - I've been able to stay on a call without
dropping while driving between San Diego and Los Angeles, using a
TI-based phone) can be found here:

https://bitbucket.org/falconian/fc-magnetite

Or to be more pedantic, it is not the raw code salvage from TI (what
TI threw in the trash as they exited the baseband chipset business),
but rather my own actively maintained version thereof.  The original
code from TI ran only on their own development boards, the ones with
weird names like D-Sample and I-Sample; I have one of those original
D-Sample boards, but the board I have is likely the world's last
remaining one, hence I have ported the firmware to run on more
practically available hardware - it can now run on the same Mot C1xx
phones that are targeted by OsmocomBB, and I also have my own GSM MS
development board (FCDEV3B) which I have designed and built
specifically for the purpose of running this firmware.

All of you are more than welcome to study this fully working firmware
and see how it implements handovers or whatever other feature you may
be interested in, and because you can also run this fw on practically
available hardware and see it working, you are not limited to just
staring at the code - you can see its debug trace output as it runs,
you can examine the state of various internal variables as it does the
handovers and other operations, you can add extra debug traces of your
own to print out whatever you are interested in, and so forth - that's
the power of having a fully functional commercial product quality GSM
MS implementation available in full source form, running on practically
available hw.

M~