3G Working Setup

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Dec 19 12:36:01 UTC 2018

Hi Ron and Domi,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 08:22:53AM +0100, Tomcsányi, Domonkos wrote:
> As far as I know the only project that aims to do a NodeB using SDR is this:
>
> http://openbts.org/w/index.php?title=OpenBTS-UMTS

As usual for OpenBTS architecture, it is missing all the normal 3GPP system architecture,
interfaces and protocols.  In order to get this working within Osmocom, one would have
to remove all core network components from OpenBTS-UMTS (no GGSN, SGSN) and keep only the
NodeB + RNC related parts.  If one then adds an IuPS interface, one could hook it up with
OsmoSGSN and use it together with the remaining osmocom stack.

It sounds like a fun project, and I'd love to work on that if I had time and if there weren't
plenty of higher priority tasks at this point.

So until somebody takes the approach above, one can only use femtocells with Iuh
interface in the Osmocom universe.  Please note that you also must "own" the cell
on a technical level, i.e. it must not be locked down to a given operator.