3G Working Setup

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Dec 19 12:29:13 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 02:17:31AM +0000, Ron wrote:
> Hi Community,
>
> Does anyone successfully run a 3G network using OSMOCOM elements?

The main obstacle is 3G voice, as has been discussed numerous times lately.
Only 3G<->3G voice works, because we cannot unmangle the IuUP of 3G voice yet.
Will not work: transcode to a PBX or interop with 2G.

Mykola recently expressed interest in implementing that, but it remains an open
issue, desirable to be solved, but yet unfunded.

> Currently we are trying to run the following OSMO elements using this URL "https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Osmocom_Network_In_The_Box#OsmoHNBGW”.
>
> Instead of using a 3G femto cell as HnodeB

We have the nano3G and the SysmoCell5000 series sold by sysmocom.

> Is there other software that will act as HnodeB between the SDR and OSMOHNBGW?

The point is that an hNodeB contains an RNC that we happily use. There is no
free/open source RNC available apparently, so that is considerable development
effort.

Expressed in 2G terms, it is as if the osmo-bsc were missing.

> does anyone tried to use UMTRX, B210, and LimeSDR?

It's not a question of "try", the point is that there is no 3G capable phy to
drive the SDR with.

In 2G terms, it is as if osmo-bts-trx were missing.

Anyone willing to invest time there is more than welcome. It is a considerable
effort though.

~N