switched to gerrit +3, some ideas

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Dec 12 16:31:55 UTC 2018

There are obvious problems with the current +3 enforcing scheme on gerrit.

a) if a patch has +2, the summary shows a tick mark, you don't see that another
   +1 is needed.
b) if a patch has three +1s, the summary shows +1, you don't see that it can be
   merged.
c) voting +1 for an own patch has an effect on the mergability.

Ideas to improve:

a) +2 hides missing +1
On IRC, we agreed that it is a good idea to require two reviews (by two people)
-- three is too much.  Currently that would be one +2 vote plus one +1 vote.
(alternatively 3x +1, too).

Idea: if we remove the "+2" ability, we avoid the problem that a +2 hides the
missing +1.

Everyone has only +1 votes, and we add up using that plugin.

To require only two reviews, we merge once a sum of +2 is reached.

b) 3x +1 == "+1"
There's no solution short of fixing what gerrit shows in the summary. Everyone
will still click on the patch and then see that it already has three votes.

c) +1 to self
The solution is that you don't vote for your own patches, unless it is
really super trivial and not worth wasting others' review time on.

Let's see for a few days how we fare with these quirks.

~N