voting in gerrit: merge at +3? (+2+1 / +1+1+1)

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Dec 10 23:44:34 UTC 2018

I think we can give it a try and see whether the annoyance of the below is
annoying enough to bother:

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 02:25:32PM +0100, Oliver Smith wrote:
> However, Neels discovered something else we should think about

in summary, even with the +3 voting config applied:

  A patch with CR votes          |   shows on the patch summary page as
                                 |   old UI       | new UI
  +1                             |   +1           | +1
  +1 +1                          |   +1           | +1
  +1 +1 +1                       |   +1           | +1 (!)
  +2                             |   green tick   | green tick (!)
  +2 +1                          |   green tick   | green tick
  +2 -1                          |   green tick   | red tick

  (I hope that's accurate)

Also I found that the "label status" shown in the new UI when viewing the patch
isn't accurate, only the presence of the "Submit" button is.

I do think it sucks that it doesn't show the status properly; you always need
to click around and manually sum up CR votes to see where you're at.  It's
quite a half-arsed implementation, little more than a quick example.
Maybe that prolog code can be fixed to reflect a more accurate or custom label
status?
(Or a social convention would solve that in a breeze.)

Also I expect patches to sit around a lot longer, because getting three code
reviews so far was quite rare. And I guess it's not ok to add an own +1 vote?
:)  Maybe we'll need to reduce +3 to +2. Well, let's see.

But ok to give it a try as-is.

Oh, BTW, do some people still get the right to +2, so that actually only two
reviews are needed if one of them voted +2? Or does everyone only +1 now?
(easy to configure and enforce)

~N