FreeBSD portability / Re: Rationale for having master builds in docker containers?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Dec 8 07:57:40 UTC 2018

Hi Stephan,

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 05:18:22PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> I wouldn't have much hope for any Osmocom code to keep working on non-Linux
> platforms in the long term. It is simply not a priority for the project.
> There's no attention being paid to portability concerns at the level
> required for portability to non-Linux platforms.

Indeed, this is true.  We once had build testing for more projects on FreeBSD,
but the amount of time fixing those issues was considerable, while at the time
we did a quick poll and not a single FreeBSD user identified themselves at this
mailing list.  So the decision was clear, and we concluded, as you write:

> Their time is better spent making sure that Osmocom runs very
> very well on Linux.

However, let me re-state that we are happy to merge any compatibility/portability
related patches, should there be any developers/users on other platforms that
contribute such changes.  I just want to make clear that we're not ignorant of
or somehow opposing other platforms.  It's just that we focus our existing resources
where we feel they are spent most effectively.