Rationale for having master builds in docker containers?

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.name
Fri Dec 7 16:18:22 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 04:59:36PM +0100, Oliver Smith wrote:
> One edge case: libosmocore gets compiled on FreeBSD_amd64. How would we
> handle that if we want to build everything with Docker?

I wouldn't have much hope for any Osmocom code to keep working on non-Linux
platforms in the long term. It is simply not a priority for the project.
There's no attention being paid to portability concerns at the level
required for portability to non-Linux platforms.

As an OpenBSD user/dev, I believe this problem is much too pervasive in the
free software community as a whole. But in Osmocom's case I really don't mind
the lack of BSD support. The effort required for portability is non-trivial
and I don't see any advantages in using FreeBSD instead of Linux as a base for
Osmocom deployments. OpenBSD is out anyway since it doesn't have an SCTP stack.

AFAIK none of the BTS hardware supported by Osmocom is supported by any BSD.
And most of the active Osmocom developers don't have direct experience with
BSD anyway. Their time is better spent making sure that Osmocom runs very
very well on Linux.