log rotation in libosmocore?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Apr 4 14:15:31 UTC 2018

Hi Neels,

I'm not fundamentally opposed, but I still believe it is the wrong thing to merge
a patch like this.

Any reasonably advanced embedded Linux system will be running more than just the
osmocom daemons/processes, and most if not all of them are going to be writing some
logs somewhere.  Yes, that one particular user might not need it *now*. But what if
they add another standard program later? Does this program then also need to be patched
with a custom log-rotate reimplementation?

So whether you use logrotate, or journald, or whatever other mechanism of dealing
with logs and related rotation, the task will always be the same.

So I'm actually more in favor of helping to make logrotate work with busybox, or
writing a small "micro logrotate" in C that can either become part of libosmocore
or be distributed as separate program/project.   This way the related functionality
is not only limited to Osmocom programs, but potentially any other log-file-writing
program out there.

If you reduce configurability to a minimum, that program wouldn't be
doing much, after all, right?

btw: This post on the busybox mailing list suggest to log to stderr and pipe that
to svlogd, which allegedly has the vcapability yo rotate logs:
	http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2011-January/074413.html