API versions vs. release versions

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Thu Sep 21 17:01:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 01:20:47PM +0800, Harald Welte wrote:
> > It seems there are a lot more versionings around than I thought...
>
> Really?  There's basially just the LIBVERSION related to a librrary API
> (or actually ABI), and the package version.  And those two have no
> relation.

(And then we also have the feeds of built packages. I hope we'll put the first
one in place on December 1st, Osmocom CellNet 17.12, to start off the planned
schedule of a new feed every three months.)

> > Only in reality, if I see libosmo-mgcp5.deb, as a user I do expect it to be
> > libosmo-mgcp release 5.2.3, not release 1.0.23. Right?? Is that only me?
>
> I think that's a common misunderstanding, and one that people have to
> get over with, we cannot fix common misconceptions about underlying
> technology in use in Osmocom.

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

> I think the most difficult question is on th "application/library-user"
> side, i.e. when you use a given function from a particular library: How
> do you know in which API/ABI version that given symbol was added?

The only way to ensure we don't make mistakes there is to have an automated way
that tries to build/link programs against each depending libraries' both
beginning and end of the API version it claims to be compatible with.

I remember we mentioned something like this earlier in a release mail thread.

Max asked me to transfer our comments and conclusions to the 'Making a Release'
wiki page, and indeed I have gathered a lot of knowledge on it now. I would
anyway nitpick around on anything someone else wrote :P

First though I am focusing on remaining openbsc.git split tasks, like the
manuals and debian packaging. There's also still loads of dead code to be
pruned.

BTW, I feel a bit overloaded at the moment, my attention often drawn away from
those urgent topics. I'm also a bit fed up with releng, jenkins, mails and docs
and would enjoy some good old hacking for a change :)

Well, anyway, getting on with it...
It should be over and mostly done *some* day.

~N