Building openBSC in Ubuntu 14.04 kernel 3.19

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Thu Sep 14 15:20:55 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:25:41PM +0530, Anindya Sankar Roy wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I am getting this error, can anyone tell me what I need to do from
> studying the error message
>
> lab at openair4G:~/dev/open-gsm/osmo-bsc$ autoreconf -fi
> configure.ac:9: installing './install-sh'
> configure.ac:9: installing './missing'
> src/ipaccess/Makefile.am: installing './depcomp'
> src/libbsc/Makefile.am:16: error: library used but 'RANLIB' is undefined
> src/libbsc/Makefile.am:16:   The usual way to define 'RANLIB' is to add
> 'AC_PROG_RANLIB'

'ranlib' is a tool coming from binutils. It should have come with the
build-essential package. It seems the ubuntu dependencies list is incomplete,
please take the debian one from
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Build_from_Source:

  apt-get install build-essential gcc g++ make automake autoconf libtool pkg-config libtalloc-dev libpcsclite-dev libortp-dev libsctp-dev libssl-dev libdbi-dev libdbd-sqlite3 libsqlite3-dev libpcap-dev libc-ares-dev sqlite3

Would be great if you could confirm that this list works, then we can update
the wiki.

Otherwise, ubuntu 14 is quite old by now. You may want to use a newer one. We
build our binary packes for 16.04, 16.10 and 17.04, as well as Debian 8 and 9.
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/network:osmocom:nightly

~N