log level everything

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Sep 11 18:43:05 UTC 2017

Hi Keith,

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 08:27:31PM +0200, Keith wrote:

> I'm describing a case that can be reproduced if you take a
> default config (touch osmo-nitb.cfg and start it up)
> Then open a VTY and do
> logging enable.
> logging filter all 1
> continue to configure logging level per facility as desired...

Odd. I did not so far observe any broken behavior, I'm using osmocom
programs of current master more or less every day or every second day.

> > Have you tried replacing "logging level all everything" with "logging level all
> > debug" or some other logging level?
> Then I get ALL facilities logging at debug.

You should then get the specific per-subsystem levels you have configured.

> If I do logging level all info notice for example, then I
> don't get ANY debug level logging, regardless of any
> facility's explicit level.

that's correct.  You're basically saying "never log anything below notice". At that point,
it doesn't matter if any subsystem has a lower, more verbose log level.  Instead,
anything that's below notice will be dropped by the global minimum level "notice"
you've configured.