.deb updates in Debian/Ubuntu repos

Thorsten Alteholz debian at alteholz.de
Tue Oct 31 22:11:23 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017, Max wrote:
> There's another question related to .deb packaging which emerged recently: how do we
> update libraries properly?
>
> Let's take concrete example - libosmo-netif, current version is 0.0.7; libversion is
> 3:0:0
>
> I'd like to release new version: 0.0.8, libversion is 4:0:1
>
> What do I do with debian/?

if there is a SONAME change, the package name should change. The link in
the dev package should point to the new version. And ...

> The library package named libosmonetif3.install
> According to https://wiki.debian.org/TransitionBestPractices it should be renamed to
> libosmonetif4.install because we're changing "current" component of libversion.

... yes, this as well (not only this file but all others that belong to
this package as well)

> We should also change debian/control to reflect this rename, but what about
> "Conflicts:" in there?
> I've tried reading
> https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.package-meta-information.html but
> still not sure how it should be applied in case of shared libraries.
>
> Shall we put libosmonetif3 in Conflicts? Both libosmonetif3 and libosmonetif2?
> Shall we use /Replaces instead? If so, for which version(s)?

Replaces: is only for two packages with the same functionality, so a
Conflicts: would be right. It should be for each version available
earlier (there might be an old version left during an upgrade).

> Also, am I even reading this in the right place or there're some better docs
> recommended for Debian library packaging?

The Debian Handbook is written by a well known Debian Developer, so this
is a good starting point (though there seems to be no version for Stretch
yet). There is even a package called debian-handbook. There is also the
Maintainer guide[1] and of course the Debian policy[2].

It would be also nice to have versioned Depends:
For example libosmo-netif depends on libosmo-abis, but what would be the
minimal version that really satisfies this dependency for the latest
libosmo-netif?

   Thorsten

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
[2] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/