OSMO UMTS

robert robert.steve07 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 10:45:56 UTC 2017

On Oct 18, 2017, at 1:12 PM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 12:22:44PM +0300, robert wrote:
>> I don’t know much about femtocells, where can I get one
>
> sysmocom is selling femtocells both individually as well as part of the
> "sysmoNITB 3G5 Starter Kit".
>
> Please note that there is nothing sysmocom-specific in the Osmo-Iuh
> code, you should be able to use any device that exposes its Iuh or
> IuCS/IuPS over IP.
>
>> does it connect to any 3G operator ?
>
> No, a femtocell sold to an end-user/consumer will typically only connect
> to the one operator to which it was provisioned to connect.  The
> femtocell and small-cell devices shipped by sysmocom are special in that
> regard, as they are sold to you as the operator of your network.  This
> means that you can configure where it shall connect, and what kind of
> authentication/credentials to use (if any).

Sounds great ! So I can connect it to any operator provided that I have the required credentials.

> Still, you will only be able to connect those femtocells to a core
> network that you control (Such as one based on an installation of the
> Osmocom components), as you will not have credentials to authenticate to
> an operator that is not under your control (such as regular commercial
> cellular operators like Vodafone or T-Mobile).

Does this mean that if I have a femtocell that is connected to an operator that I control, then I must manually tell my phone to connect to the femtocell ? How will the phone be able to differentiate between the original operator and the femtocell if both share the same signature ?