OSMO UMTS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Oct 18 10:12:33 UTC 2017

Hi Robert,

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 12:22:44PM +0300, robert wrote:
> I don’t know much about femtocells, where can I get one

sysmocom is selling femtocells both individually as well as part of the
"sysmoNITB 3G5 Starter Kit".

Please note that there is nothing sysmocom-specific in the Osmo-Iuh
code, you should be able to use any device that exposes its Iuh or
IuCS/IuPS over IP.

> does it connect to any 3G operator ?

No, a femtocell sold to an end-user/consumer will typically only connect
to the one operator to which it was provisioned to connect.  The
femtocell and small-cell devices shipped by sysmocom are special in that
regard, as they are sold to you as the operator of your network.  This
means that you can configure where it shall connect, and what kind of
authentication/credentials to use (if any).

Still, you will only be able to connect those femtocells to a core
network that you control (Such as one based on an installation of the
Osmocom components), as you will not have credentials to authenticate to
an operator that is not under your control (such as regular commercial
cellular operators like Vodafone or T-Mobile).