GPRS on Ettus B210 hardware

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Nov 8 13:33:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 10:07:11AM +0100, Lorenzo Cavallini wrote:
> Can you explain what the encapsulation setting is actually doing?

It's the address where the PCU talks to the SGSN, so it needs to be reachable
by your BSS. If you're on a single box (using osmo-trx or everything on one
sysmoBTS) it can be a loopback (like you picked), otherwise it needs to be an
IP on a public interface. The address is passed to osmo-bts, which in turn
tells osmo-pcu where to find the SGSN.

> I thought this was supposed to be the same value as the gtp localip.

GTP is from the SGSN to the GGSN side:

  BSS         |     Core Network

  PCU <--GRPS-NS--> SGSN <--GTP--> GGSN

> By the way, do you recommend to switch to the "split" architecture right now?
> Or is there a timeline for when OsmoNITB will be deprecated? Thanks!

It certainly doesn't make sense to set up a long term installation based on the
OsmoNITB anymore: our development focus has already moved away from OsmoNITB,
and as of now it will mainly sit there and age.

The main remaining issue for the split components now is that the OsmoMSC still
needs the old osmo-bsc_mgcp instead of the new osmo-mgw -- but that is going to
change pretty soon and will be trivial to adjust. The other detail is that I am
still busy verifying that the wiki pages that help you set up the split
components are indeed accurate.

So, you may still experience minor challenges finding your way across to a
split installation, which we will be more than happy to help out with and iron
out our documentation in the process.

Infrastructure wise we have the split components tested in the osmo-gsm-tester
every day, we have sysmoBTS images running the split components (201705 feed),
we have nightly builds for all the programs in the form of Debian and Ubuntu
feeds. The split components get you various juicy benefits, like one central
HLR for MSC and SGSN, seamless 3G support and UMTS authentication (Milenage).

And congratulations to your working setup :)

~N