static builds in jenkins

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon May 29 20:18:42 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 07:46:56PM +0200, Max wrote:
> Well, in my case I wanted to quickly test on a remote host without build environment
> (internal ref. - gbproxy issue). It turned out that it doesn't work - way too
> different hosts (libc, compiler etc).
>
> As for general use-case - I'm not sure. Hence, this email to start the discussion.

Could also make sense for the osmo-gsm-tester. So far we are building all the
osmo libraries and actually copy them over to the main unit as well, meaning we
need to set an LD_LIBRARY_PATH when launching a binary. But it is a bit of a
"gamble", or, say, uncertainty whether the remaining dependencies on the main
unit match the build server. If we built one single static binary and send it
to the main unit, it would probably be more certain to work as intended at
build time?

So far I have a ticket to drop static libraries from the build artifacts.
Instead we could drop all libraries (dynamic and static) and only send the
readily linked static binary.  http://osmocom.org/issues/2303

~N