how to use the CTRL interface to set TRAPs.

Max msuraev at sysmocom.de
Fri May 26 17:36:19 UTC 2017

Hi.

On 26.05.2017 19:13, emily mcmilin wrote:
> I am running osmo-nitb, and it my preference to continue to do so.
> Will that be a problem?

Not really, but in this case you'll have to use ctrl variables from corresponding
user manual. In case of osmo-nitb there's no bts_connection_status. You can use, for
example, net.0.bsc.N.notification-rejection-v1 to get TRAP message when phone is
rejected. Simply try to connect to your network using sim card which is not allowed
and you should receive TRAP with that sim IMSI.

> I have confidence that there is proper communication between my BTS
> and BSC, because when I SET arfcn (as in the example below) and then
> powerup/down my SysmoBTS, the arfcn does properly update (as verified
> on a sig analyzer).
>
> $ python ~/openbsc/openbsc/contrib/bsc_control.py -s bts.0.trx.0.arfcn
> 148 -d localhost -p 4249
>
> However, issuing the command to TRAP oml connection state (example
> below), traps no message when I powerup/down the SysmoBTS:
>
> $ python ~/openbsc/openbsc/contrib/bsc_control.py -m
> bts.0.oml-connection-state -d localhost -p 4249
>
> Would you expect a TRAP command to captured in the immediately above example?

No, that won't work because there's simply no trap in osmo-nitb which is generated
for BTS (dis)connection. Also, there's no need to specify which variable you're
expecting as a TRAP - this'll be ignored and you'll get the TRAP for all variables
anyway.

You've got to check "Control interface" chapter of user manual for whatever program
you're using. I've used OsmoBSC just as a quickstart example, if you're using
anything else, than you've got to check for variable names in the manual with
"Trap=Yes" (if any) and use them. The variables are program-specific: those which are
available in osmo-bsc might be absent in osmo-nitb and vice versa. In case of NITB I
suggest to use net.0.bsc.N.notification-rejection-v1 where N is the number you've
used in your NITB config for bts entry (use 0 if unsure).

Also, let me stress again orthogonality of SET/GET operation to TRAP messages. If
there's variable which could GET it doesn't mean there's corresponding TRAP. It works
other way around too - if theres a TRAP with given name it does not mean that there's
variable with the same name which you could GET. It might be, it might be not -
that's why we've got to consult the manual which have separate columns for Access (RW
means Read/Write - both SET and GET are possible, RO means ReadOnly - only GET is
possible, etc) and Trap.

Of course we can add TRAP filtering to bsc_control.py as well as
bts_connection_status to osmo-nitb if necessary but I think it's a subject of a
separate discussion.

--
Max Suraev <msuraev at sysmocom.de> http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93