python on FreeBSD in libosmocore

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Thu Mar 23 23:43:25 UTC 2017

> On 23 Mar 2017, at 10:18, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:21:19PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
>
>> as python2 will disappear sooner or later, I tried to replace all python2
>> references in libosmocore by the generic "python" [1].
>> Unfortunately the build fails on FreeBSD[2]. Google didn't want to explain
>> me why there might be /usr/bin/python2 but no /usr/bin/python, so do you
>> have any idea what is wrong here?
>
> I don't know about FreeBSD policy on this, but those FreeBSD systems
> that I work with alwys "only" had a python2 and/or python3 executable
> and not a genric "python" one, which breaks a lot of scripts and
> requires manual editing :/
>
> I guess it's worth asking some FreeBSD list/forum about this, if it's
> not a FAQ.

We can install the "python" package that adds a symlink from python2
to python. My main issues with this approach is:

* Some of our scripts don't work with python3
* Python2.7 will be around for a long time (and was recently forked)

So when the build breakage came up I preferred to be honest and say it
is a python2 script.

holger