python on FreeBSD in libosmocore

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Mar 23 09:18:49 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:21:19PM +0100, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:

> as python2 will disappear sooner or later, I tried to replace all python2
> references in libosmocore by the generic "python" [1].
> Unfortunately the build fails on FreeBSD[2]. Google didn't want to explain
> me why there might be /usr/bin/python2 but no /usr/bin/python, so do you
> have any idea what is wrong here?

I don't know about FreeBSD policy on this, but those FreeBSD systems
that I work with alwys "only" had a python2 and/or python3 executable
and not a genric "python" one, which breaks a lot of scripts and
requires manual editing :/

I guess it's worth asking some FreeBSD list/forum about this, if it's
not a FAQ.