Question about activate GPRS

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Thu Jul 13 02:15:28 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 04:18:21PM -0300, Marcus Dias wrote:
> When I look into the pcu running configuration I
> see that there is a different configuration from the starting one ( no
> egprs ), is this normal? I changed it to egprs.

Sorry, I don't follow. I don't see egprs anywhere in your config. I'm also not
familiar with egprs really, but AFAIK you don't configure that in the PCU but
in the NITB config?

In my ggsn.conf, I use 'net' and no 'dynip'. This should be sufficient:
 listen 127.0.0.2
 net 192.168.42.0/24
 pcodns1 8.8.8.8

> Another issue that I faced
> yesterday, was that I could connect my phone to the network (this one time,
> today I was trying to connect but it didnt connected),

Are you able to connect or not? Is it not reproducible?

> and the symbol of
> GPRS appeared, but couldnt make a ping to 8.8.8.8 for example, even after
> doing the nat masquerade thing.

The "thing" is enable forwarding and masquerading for the appropriate ethernet
interface. Did you do both?

 sudo sh -c "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"
 sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

> I see in the vty sgsn that my phone does several routing area update, but
> does not connect. what it could be?

It's impossible to guess from over here what is going on in your setup. You
need to be more specific: Log output? Actual commands? Pcaps? Maybe with those
someone here can see a solution.  (in text form, no image screenshots please)

~N