new osmo-msc repository

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Jul 12 21:17:56 UTC 2017

I have created a fresh osmo-msc repository as a copy of openbsc.git, and pushed
the first few patches for gerrit review to move to our "new" Osmocom CN:
https://gerrit.osmocom.org/#/q/topic:vlr

As suggested before, osmo-msc will see code review and patches merged for VLR,
3G and AoIP, and so will form the basis for creating osmo-bsc, osmo-mgw and
osmo-sgsn, as distinct repositories replacing the current openbsc.git.

All further development happening in openbsc.git from now on will have to be
applied to the new repositories later. Keep that in mind, and maybe postpone
larger conflict prone efforts for later.

The review process could take some effort. Some of the commits are one
collapsed commit of fairly large development efforts. Normally, commits should
be small, but in the case of completely refactoring an entire section of the
code (VLR) or adding a completely new feature (IuCS, AoIP), it doesn't really
help to see incremental back-and-forth changes with intermediate errors and
fixes. I decided to collapse the errors with their fixes, and to save the
effort of logically plucking apart the large commits, since they anyway only
make sense as a whole. If necessary for review, we can still do so.

Despite the mass of changes, please do look closely. Parts of the new code have
possibly been hacked up in a preliminary fashion and were forgotten to
implement properly later -- this will become our new Osmocom master branches,
the stable releases and our main development arena, so do apply your scrutiny
and let's fix early what we can fix now.

The other repositories (osmo-{bsc,mgw,sgsn}) also exist already, and I am
preparing to make them work as separate entities after the code review, on
respective neels/split branches.

Each fresh repository contains the *full* openbsc.git history.

The option of relying on grafts to include the old openbsc.git history when
needed has been mentioned, but so far was more or less turned down. It is still
possible to change that. The openbsc.git history is about 9 Mb -- not too
large, so IMHO best to keep it with each separate repos to ease log browsing,
git blame and so forth. OTOH, we have it four times, which makes 36 Mb of
duplicated history. If anyone still prefers a flat snapshot migration with a
wiki page describing how to graft in the old history, we may discuss and change
that.

No branches have been migrated except the current aoip development branch that
is going to become the new master.

All tags are included, except: the signed '0.1.2' openbsc version tags are
replaced by 'openbsc/0.1.2' tags pointing at the same revisions, so that we
don't confuse them with the new version tags in each new project.

Preliminarily, the last openbsc.git master has been tagged as version 0.0.1 in
order to get *something* out from git-version-gen, useful for referencing a
version of the new libosmo-mgcp library in osmo-{msc,bsc} configure.ac.

We still need to decide whether to start versioning afresh or continue from the
openbsc.git version scheme. openbsc.git ended with 0.15.0. My personal choice
would be to bump the major and start from 1.0.0 in each new repository.

~N