osmo-trx jenkins

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Jan 18 17:08:54 UTC 2017

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to have to get back to this topic, but I think we have to
re-introduce support for "old" UHD versions in osmo-trx.  It is creating
too much fall-out and breakage down the road.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 05:21:40PM -0700, Tom Tsou wrote:
> UHD versions prior to 3.9 are no longer actively maintained. The 3.9
> series of releases is the current 'long term support' version.

The problem is that Ettus did apparently not coordinate with major
distributions to ensure that such a 'long term support' version is
actually packated in their regular and/or long-term-support
distributions.

AFAICT, we now have broken package builds for Debian 8.0, Ubuntu 16.04
and 16.10.  I know Debian is known for shipping relatively old versions
which has created issues here and there, but I absolutely don't think
anyone would claim that the two Ubuntu Linux distributions released in 2016 are "old"
by any means.

> PPA packages are available.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~ettusresearch/+archive/ubuntu/uhd-3.9.lts

That may be the case, but it apparently is not possible to add such
external package feed to "standard" / "commonly used" build systems like
OBS, which we use. So we have the choice of building yet another set of
uhd drivers for all supported distributions, or we have to enable
osmo-trx to support older UHD versions.

> It's a hard requirement for some features - namely multi-carrier BTS.
> On the code level, we currently need to add additional ifdef's in
> order to support older UHD API and behavioral version dependencies.

So if I read this correctly, with a few #ifdefs, even multi-carrier can
be supported?