vlr+hlr: Insert Data

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Thu Feb 9 13:53:21 UTC 2017

What should we do if the HLR sends no Insert Data?

When a subscriber does a Location Updating, the VLR sends a Location Updating
request to the HLR. The HLR typically responds with a Location Updating Result
as success and, in a *separate* message, sends an Insert Data to the VLR to
tell it the subscriber's MSISDN. So it is possible to do a successful Location
Updating without being told the MSISDN (as my test verifies).

What should the VLR do if it never receives the Insert Data from the HLR? In
that case the subscriber is attached but cannot be reached by MSISDN. Should
we actively wait for Inser Data and reject the subscriber if not successful?

It would be fairly easy to just send the MSISDN along in the Location Updating
Result. Why this separate message?

Thx,

~N