osmo-trx with USRP1 - libusrp vs. UHD

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 06:00:44 UTC 2017

Hi,

osmo-trx needs devices that support hardware timestamping of packets (TX/RX).

The URSP1 UHD driver doesn't support that. All the timestamps are
'faked' in software.
That's because the FPGA image for USRP1 doesn't support hardware timestamps.

OpenBTS used a custom FPGA image where hardware timestamping support
was added and they used libusrp (and not UHD) because it was a lower
layer API and that let them access the raw content of the data packets
sent by the USRP. That's needed because with that new FPGA image, the
content of those packets is no longer just samples, but it now has a
header with the timestamps and some flags that needs to be intepreted
to generate the timestamping and removed before converting the
samples.

A long time ago I wanted to implement support for that FPGA image into
UHD ... and then when I looked into UHD work, I gave up ... (basically
I could never figure out _HOW_ UHD works).

Cheers,

    Sylvain