osmo-trx with USRP1 - libusrp vs. UHD

Alexander Huemer alexander.huemer at xx.vu
Thu Dec 21 18:57:24 UTC 2017

Hi!

I played with osmo-trx today and tried to run it with a USRP1 that I
have laying around, though to no avail.
osmo-trx supports two kinds of devices, USRP1 via libusrp and UHD.
libusrp was last included in gnuradio 3.4.2[1] from Dec 2013, it
unsurprisingly does not build on a recent Linux distribution, due to API
incompatibilities with boost.
The USRP1 would theoretically be supported by UHD, though the device
initialization code in osmo-trx explicitly treats it differently, see
[2,3].
I found an old ML post[4] from 2015 that pretty much asks the same
question but did not get an answer.
Supposedly there is a simple reason why USRP1 is not driven via UHD in
osmo-trx, but I don't know.
Can somebody please enlighten me? Tom, maybe you?
I would like to understand whether it is feasible to use an USRP1 with
UHD for osmo-trx or one would have to go down the rabbit hole to build
libusrp on a modern system.

Kind regards,
-Alex

[1] https://gnuradio.org/releases/gnuradio/