Call for Osmocom sysadmins (Re: gerrit load)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Dec 20 14:24:34 UTC 2017

Hi Pau,

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:42:22AM +0100, Pau Espin Pedrol wrote:

> Correct. For osmo-gsm-tester repo I noticed delays of at least 1 hour to
> sync pushed branches in gerrit origin to git.osmocom. Same goes for patches
> merged in gerrit ending up in master in git.osmocom.  and I didn't check
> with detail, but I'd say it could actually take several hours.
> This didn't happen (or I didn't notice it, but I think I'd have noticed it)
> prior to 1 or 2 weeks ago.

So who wants to plot graphs about the latency and feed that into MRTG/grafane
or whatever kind of monitoring?

This brings me to a more serious question: Do we have people in this
community who would be interested in volunteering as sysadmins for the
Osmocom.org infrastructure?  There's quite a number of services that we
run by now, starting from redmine/gerrit/cgit/jenkins/mailman to the build
slaves, etc.

There's also quite a bit of "DevOps" related work pending, such as
having Dockerfiles or ansible playbooks to set-up new build slaves,
collection of logs/pcaps from the TTCN-3 integration test runs, down to
simply having some monitoring in place to monitor the status of the
various services and servers [buildslave running out of disk, etc.].

I think this is an idea opportunity for people who are not developers
but still want to contribute - or even for developers but those who
(think they) don't have the low-level C or telecom skills to work on Osmocom.

Thanks in advance to any interested in contributing in this area.