Getting started with Osmocom and LimeNet Mini ?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Dec 19 19:11:15 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,

[speaking with both my Osmocom and sysmocom hats here]

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 06:33:57PM +0000, Andrew Frazer wrote:
> In the video that I mentioned above,  there was mention that sysmocom where making an ‘all in one’ package that could be used via some kind of web app store..

Indeed, this was and still is the plan.  It would be simiar to the sysmoBTS based
starter kits which sysmocom is selling for the past 5 years or so.  The difference
would be that it's LimeSDR based, not sysmoBTS based.

The revenue from those starter kits is a significant source of funding for sysmocom
to pay an entire team of developers doing nothing else but workgin on the various cellular
related Osmocom projects - from bug fixing to new features to documentation to general
maintenance tasks.

> Was that something that’s happened, or is going to happen..

However, we unfortunately still haven't been able to get around to build that 'snap'
package for LimeSDR, sorry for that.  It still is on our agenda.

> It seems I might be able to build this all from packages however.

This is correct.  In Osmocom (and at sysmocom) we are 100% open source.  We work upstream,
and we don't do "open core" models where you only get a feature crippled version of the
software.  What symocom ships is mainline Osmocom.  So for sure, you can set up the
entire Osmocom cellular stack yourself.