not storing undesired MS

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Dec 8 22:54:19 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 03:58:39PM +0100, Pau Espin Pedrol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/12/17 14:51, robert wrote:
> > I am using an old version of osmo-nitb, I installed it maybe a year earlier. I will consider updating my setup. Should I go with a newer version of osmo-nitb or should I use the new packages (OsmoMSC, OsmoHLR …) ?
> >

> As far as I know, almost all the features present in osmo-nitb are supported
> in new packages, and osmo-nitb is mostly discontinued nowadays in favor the
> the new packages. That may help you take a decision regarding this matter.

Here is a quick list of features not present in the split components that come
to mind:

- no subscriber-create-on-demand, i.e. you have to explicitly enter all
  subscribers' IMSIs in the HLR *before* they are accepted by the network.
  The database will not grow automatically (which robert may like).
  https://osmocom.org/issues/2542

- in osmo-nitb we could easily log/query which BTS and which timeslot a
  subscriber was served on. Now you need to ask (each) BSC for that and
  correlate phone number to TMSI manually.
  We may want to add Osmocom-specific TLVs to the A interface in order to
  communicate that information to OsmoMSC and re-enable the old feature set.
  Related:

- we no longer support Osmocom specific TLVs in SMPP messages, which used to
  provide information only available on the BSC layer.
  https://osmocom.org/issues/2390

Things you *get* from the split repositories:

- same subscriber database for CS and PS (OsmoHLR).
- no blocking of the core network while accessing the db = more scalable.
- support for 3G.
- support for Milenage (UMTS authentication).
- support of a true A interface between BSC and MSC.
- you're set up for the future: new development focuses here, hardly any effort
  will be spent on OsmoNITB (without explicit requests and funding)

~N