Using repo to make 'regular' releases

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Apr 26 22:35:38 UTC 2017

Hi Neels,

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 04:07:15PM +0200, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:

> We tend to use the CamelCase in manuals and for project names, and the dashed
> version for git repositories. We also tend to use only "Osmo":

actually, it's mostly the dashed version for the executables, and then
the git repo follows that.

>   OsmoCellNet
>   osmo-cell-net
>
> I like shorter names (as long as they are still concise). OTOH it could make
> sense to mark the overall release with the full "Osmocom" instead, because it's
> not just a specific program.

I also like the shorter names.  However, we already have the Osmocom
trademark in US and EU, and it might make sense to reflect that in
naming, should the need ever arise to defend against a copycat or some
other misrepresentation of the project and/or its software.

> Personally I would be fine with either one:
>
>   osmo-cell-net / OsmoCellNet
>
> or
>
>   osmocom-cell-net / OsmocomCellNet

my vote goes for the latter, due to above reasoning.