openbsc 3G supoort with octasic phy

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Apr 25 21:38:58 UTC 2017

Hi Snehasish,

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 05:16:57AM +0000, Snehasish Kar wrote:
> As per the API provided by Octasic we can handle the RLC/MAC and RRC
> protocols.

This is probably not the right mailing list to discuss the features of a
particular proprietary PHY/BTS implementation of a given vendor.  But to
the best of my knowledge - and that to my contacts inside Octasic R&D -
they only provide the PHY interface and do not provide any
RLC/MAC/RRC/RLC.

> So can you please help me with setting up a roadmap in
> interfacing octasic phy with openbsc3G.

Your "RNC" part will need to implement an Iuh interface as specified by
3GPP.  There's not really anything else to say about this.

In case you are actually impleemnting that part, it would be great if
you could follow our example and release it as Open Source.  After all,
this is about collaborative development that lives by contributions.

> Also if we are able to create the interface, do we require
> programmable sims for testing or it we can be done  with sims of any
> provider.

This is a question completely unrelated to Osmocom, but something very
fundamental about UMTS.  The short answer is: You need to use your own
SIM Cards.  They don't need to be programmable, but you need the K/OPC
programmed into them.