asan for libosmo*

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Tue Oct 25 23:16:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 06:20:16PM +0200, Max wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Address Sanitizer is currently enabled for libosmocore jenkins build
> (which is really great, thanks al being involved!) but not for other
> libraries. According to recent checks in
> http://jenkins.osmocom.org/jenkins/job/Osmocom_Sanitizer/ asan only
> fails for OpenBSC so it seems like it can be enabled for other libosmo*
> libraries as well.
>
> What do you think?

I have it on my todo list, first wanted to get libosmocore through as a
confirmation that using a ./configure switch is acceptable.

One point though might be build time: it is conceivable that an ASAN build
hides bugs that a normal build exhibits, so we would preferably build both with
and without ASAN in our jenkins build jobs. I'm not entirely sure whether all
dependencies need to be built with ASAN or only the final linking of a binary
is enough. For example building openbsc with all of its dependencies once with
and once without ASAN would double our build matrix, yet again. In libosmocore,
we once run 'make check' with ASAN and then 'make distcheck' without ASAN,
which completes fairly quickly. We'll have to see what ASAN means for the other
projects' gerrit build jobs.

For starters, it would be great to fix the ASAN failure seen in
https://jenkins.osmocom.org/jenkins/job/Osmocom_Sanitizer/
Also on my todo-list, but let's see who catches it first :)

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93