confused by libosmo-netif

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Nov 28 19:31:12 UTC 2016

Hi Neels,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 01:32:36PM +0100, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:

> Am I right to conclude that there's some 2G / Abis / ip.access related code in
> libosmo-netif but we're not actually using it in openbsc, and that the only
> "real" osmo_stream_srv_* callers are 3G/Iu related?

Yes, at least likely. The history is as follows:

* we implemented openbsc with classic Abis over LAPD/E1
* we added IPA Abis/IP to it
* that code went into libosmo-abis
* Pablo was tasked with the OSMUX implementation for a more efficient
  transport protocol
* Pablo wrote libosmo-netif as a sort of unification layer on top of IP
  and OSMUX
* We started to use osmux in osmo-bsc (and bsc-nat?) for the A interface
* We kept using libosmo-netif only for OSMUX but never migrated the
  other code over to it

It might not be an exact historical record, but I guess you'd have to
ask Pablo for more details