wireshark LAPD tracing (was Re: Nokia crash during init is fixed)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Nov 24 20:38:00 UTC 2016

Hi Sipos,

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 10:53:59AM +0100, Sipos Csaba wrote:
> I have the traces so I will try to put the protocol trace wiki together.

great, thanks,

> I think for now I will expand the "PacketDump" part, and when it has a
> meaningful length/content, we can move it to a separate wiki page.

sure.

> What I have in mind is to create some sort comparison like
> image/visualization, where the OpenBSC log and the corresponding Pcap
> trace can be seen side by side, so complete procedures (like call
> setup, SMS, lau and such) can be observed, and to put some explanation
> what actually happens (where it is not obvious).

that sounds complicated, but I'm definitely curious to see what yo might
end up doing.

What we had contemplated for many years is to create a "log target" for
libosmocore logging which generates a GSMTAP packet that just contains
logging text. If OpenBSC sends those GSMTAP messages interspersed with
the Abis protocol messages, you could have both the text log and the GSM
protocol messages in one application (wireshark).  Unfortunately, nobody
has yet implemente it.  Maybe that might also be something to look into
for a student project?  It's a small libosmocore extension and an
equally small wireshark extension.