wireshark LAPD tracing (was Re: Nokia crash during init is fixed)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Nov 16 15:33:29 UTC 2016

Hi Sipos,

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 04:20:30PM +0100, Sipos Csaba wrote:
> I did some LAPD PCAP traces, my only question is should I be able to
> see the higher layer messages like call control, or mobility
> management inside? Maybe I need to manually tell Wireshark what to
> decode? Our students are measuring this setup and it would be lovely
> to add some protocol tracing to the task.

You need to use the "Use GSM SAPI values" setting of the LAPD protocol
prrference in Wireshark.  Without that, wireshark is expecting ISDN
(Q.931) messages on top of LAPD.

It would be great if you and/or your students could add that kind of
inforation to the openbsc wiki, maybe even with some sample pcap files
of Nokia BTS startup, or even general stuff like LU, SMS, etc.
procedures.