Dynamic TCH/F_PDCH does not work for CS call

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 03:59:16 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 02:55:30PM +0000, Mrinal Mishra wrote:
>> As per the channel configuration defined in the code TCH/F_PDCH is a valid
>> channel configuration and it should work as TCH/F or PDCH channel
>> dynamically.  I tested even with TCH/F_TCH/H_PDCH and it works fine only as
>> TCH/H or PDCH it does not get used as TCH/F.
>
> I am glad to hear that TCH/F_TCH/H_PDCH works as TCH/H.
> The reason why this pchan type is not used as TCH/F is OS#1778
> https://osmocom.org/issues/1778
>
> Fixing OS#1778 is not a top priority at the moment. The perspective that TCH/H
> is more efficiently using the available timeslots than TCH/F and the fact that
> most MS are capable of TCH/H makes this not very urgent.

The reason why people use TCH/F is because it offers higher quality than TCH/H.
E.g. if you're using AMR, you can go only up to 7.95 mode in TCH/H
(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_Multi-Rate_audio_codec).
So just saying that TCH/H is "more efficient" is not correct. It's
more efficient in exchange to some loss in quality.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves, Inc.
https://fairwaves.co