Dynamic TCH/F_PDCH does not work for CS call

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Tue Nov 15 01:42:28 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 02:55:30PM +0000, Mrinal Mishra wrote:
> As per the channel configuration defined in the code TCH/F_PDCH is a valid
> channel configuration and it should work as TCH/F or PDCH channel
> dynamically.  I tested even with TCH/F_TCH/H_PDCH and it works fine only as
> TCH/H or PDCH it does not get used as TCH/F.

I am glad to hear that TCH/F_TCH/H_PDCH works as TCH/H.
The reason why this pchan type is not used as TCH/F is OS#1778
https://osmocom.org/issues/1778

Fixing OS#1778 is not a top priority at the moment. The perspective that TCH/H
is more efficiently using the available timeslots than TCH/F and the fact that
most MS are capable of TCH/H makes this not very urgent.

Since the ip.access nanoBTS is not capable of TCH/H, it is pretty much the only
hardware where you actually want to use TCH/F_PDCH. Nevertheless, if TCH/F_PDCH
is broken for other BTS models that support it, it should be fixed.

> Also as I mentioned earlier in TCH/F_PDCH pchan type CS (voice) call does not work.

Of course TCH/F_PDCH is a valid channel configuration, which you may use if you
insist on TCH/F -- as long as it is implemented for your BTS model.
There is no unit test available. Testing pchan types involves using a NITB and
actual BTS hardware. At some point, we would like to test this in our
osmo-gsm-tester setup, which still needs a lot of work. See:
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Roadmap#Build-and-Test-infrastructure

Kindly state which BTS hardware you are using. And I am looking forward to your
logs and/or bisect, if you can spare the time.

As always, let me plug the possibility of directly sponsoring any of above
mentioned issues via sysmocom, to anyone reading this and interested in
quick progress.

~Neels

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/