openbsc.git branch sysmocom/iu updated. 0.15.0-442-gf3bcdd2

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sun May 8 15:13:51 UTC 2016

> On 08 May 2016, at 17:02, Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de> wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 07, 2016 at 07:26:03AM +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
>> not sure what to respond to the rest as it is long and goes into another area and I am very busy right now.
>
> Ok -- I'll keep it simple until we see a need for more elaborate paging timeout
> semantics. So, I will actually keep the timeout on gsm_subscriber level for
> now, but will gladly change that when reasons to do so come up.

I think I understand your point of view now. Without the GSM paging code there is no component that will inform the SMS/Call code about timeouts. From this point of view the GSM subscriber is a good place to put this timeout.

Have you considered removing the "timeout" from the lower GSM paging code? The interface would be start, cancel and only success would be signaled? Both the MSC paging and BSC paging timeout could be fed from the same timeout value?

> Ok, so it does at most 20 pagings and then waits 5 seconds before firing the
> next 20.
>
> BTW, re give_credit(): the meaning of "to give credit to someone" is more like
> acknowledging that someone has done something well (Anerkennung geben). That's
> why I was unsure about its purpose.

top-up? refill? resume paging?