Hardware question

Sipos Csaba sipos.csaba at kvk.uni-obuda.hu
Tue Jan 26 13:41:24 UTC 2016

Hi Ralph,

What we do at the university is just using the upper ARFCNs (882-885), because the 20MHz LTE the owner of this part of the band use is allowing almost 0.8MHz "free" spectrum. THe guard band is designed for high power transmitters, for testing we are using 100-200mW Tx power, so we are very far from bleeding into the actual used portion of the operator, so we are not creating any interference, and we always check the availability of the spectrum with analysis.

I think the key for short term low power proejcts is to always check for available spectrum, never create any interference, and newer try to mimic a commercial operator by using their MCCMNC code and/or the operator name, and if your network is out in the air, always make it a closed one and make sure the commercial users will be properly reject (with PLMN not allowed reject cause).

Of corse this is not a legal advice, but we are doing so for years now, and nobody ever complained :-)

If you check carefully, the law is actually not prohibiting the use of licensed portion of the spectrum (eg. interfering), but punishes the possible conseqences (loss of revenue, disturbing a public telephony service, someone dies because of your interference he/she cannot call the ambulance etc.). Until you do not meet any of those circumstances, you will be fine.

Regards,
Csaba