multiline comment style?

Tom Tsou tom at tsou.cc
Wed Aug 17 17:45:47 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 3:24 AM, Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de> wrote:
> I've now heard two conflicting instructions on multi-line comments in osmocom
> code; I'd like this clarified, which is the preferred multiline comment style?

I have noticed these differences in the code and thought about it too.

> From Holger, first hand:
>
> /*
>  * multi
>  * line
>  */

Holger's approach is the general style according to the Linux kernel
coding style. That is the reference point that I have used.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/CodingStyle

> vs. from Harald (?), via hearsay:
>
> /* multi
>  * line */

This is a modified form of the net/ and drivers/net style of the Linux
kernel where the comment close is on the same vs. separate lines.

/* multi
 * line
 */

I prefer Holger's comment style, however, I have limited say in this battle.

  -TT