lchan broken unusable activation timeout

Keith keith at rhizomatica.org
Wed Aug 17 11:11:50 UTC 2016

Hi all

In some communities we are using 5Ghz wifi links between the box running
openBSC and the sbts2050.

In often works well for some time, but then we get plagued with
BROKEN_UNUSABLE channels:
I cannot say exactly why, probably rain, solar radiation, aliens,
goblins.. etc.
I have yet to actually be able to watch it happen. I usually just
discover the problem, correct it and then it works fine until I get
bored watching.

BTS 1, TRX 0, Timeslot 1, Lchan 2: Type NONE
  Connection: 0, State: BROKEN UNUSABLE Error reason: activation timeout

This requires then either

A) use the drop command in the vty
B) restart the osmo-bts process on the 2050 (same thing as A really)
C) restart osmo-nitb

All these things are ugly, as they will drop other calls on the BTS at
the time.

The question is, would somebody help make this more robust, as in have
it self repair?

Initial questions:

Why does the broken unusable channel stay as such until manual intervention,
Is is just because the code has not been written to monitor and recover,
or is there some other reason?
I am thinking that nobody ever did this, probably all testing and
installation has been done using nice reliable cabled ethernet and not
ugly nasty packet dropping 3km wifi links. :-)

Thanks!