multiple phy with osmo-trx

Tom Tsou tom at tsou.cc
Mon Aug 1 22:39:30 UTC 2016

Hi Max,

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Max <msuraev at sysmocom.de> wrote:
> I've asked about it before but this seems to have been lost in
> communication.

I do not recall this discussion. My apologies.

> The question is basically how to enable multi-TRX support for
> osmo-bts-trx using phy/instance infrastructure similar to other bts?

I use the following configuration.

phy 0
 instance 0
 instance 1
 osmotrx rx-gain 25

bts 0
 band 900
 ipa unit-id 1234 0
 oml remote-ip 127.0.0.1
 settsc
 gsmtap-sapi ccch
 gsmtap-sapi pdtch
 trx 0
  phy 0 instance 0
 trx 1
  phy 0 instance 1

$ osmo-bts-trx -c osmo-bts.cfg -t 2

> In short, I'd like to configure OpenBSC with 1 BTS with 2 TRX, each with
> its own arfcn and set of channels. I'm running "osmo-bts-trx -t 2" and
> correspondingly "osmo-trx -c 2" on usrp b210. Any ideas on what's
> missing to make this actually work are greatly appreciated.

You can use "osmo-trx -c 2" or "osmo-trx -m -c 2" to use dual-channels
of the B210 or multi-ARFCN on one channel respectively.

Note that there are ARFCN restrictions for both cases. Due to a shared
local oscillator for both B210 channels, ARFCN separation can be up
about 25 MHz.

With multi-TRX, ARFCN spacing is fixed at 800 kHz or 4 GSM channels.
So if TRX-0 is set to ARFCN 51, TRX-1 _must_ be set to 55. Up to three
ARFCN's is supported for multi-TRX.

  -TT