L1SAP and TRX rebase, the last one (TM)

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 06:08:47 UTC 2015

Hi Harald,

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 8:09 AM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> after my futile attempt in September last year to finally merge l1sap
> (see the 201409-l1sap branch), I'm making one final attempt.

That's incredible. Thank you for making this final step.

>   * a so-called 'fix for use after free' that is actually a patch that
>     introduces another copy for every primitive and is only required for
>     the loopback mode

I'd appreciate recommendations on how to do this differently. IIRC the
code frees messages after the function and the queue was pointing to a
freed message. this led to undefined behavior.

There is a companion patch to this to manually activate/deactivate a
channel. I'd appreciate recommendations on how to properly implement
it as well. Loopback and channel activation functions are very helpful
for the L0/L1 development.

> I recommend everyone with a stake in this to review or test the code
> in 201509-l1sap and 201509-trx-rebase now.  My schedule is to merge at
> some point next week, unless someone raises some serious objections.

We're little busy this week, so assume we're ok by default. If we find
time for testing and find something - we'll let you know. Worst case
we'll fix TRX support after it's merged.

Could you share what kind of testing has been performed, so we can
shape our expectations?

> What needs to be done after the merge is to unify the
> src/common/power_control.c code from Holger originating in master with
> src/common/loops.c from Andreas originating from the osmo-trx branch.
>
> There is no doubt that the power control and timing advance loops should
> be part of common, as this is required in virtually any BTS hardware.

Indeed.

I can promise to look into this, but it'll be a long time before I can
do that. If there is any interest in doing this before then - don't
hold your breath.

> However, we can safely merge/unify this after the merging of the above
> branches.

Totally agree.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves, Inc.