Femto - IuH

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Oct 17 18:20:09 UTC 2015

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 03:50:52PM +0200, Sipos Csaba wrote:
> Do you think that these vendor agnostic implementations can cahnge
> with the small cell forum API?

no.

> http://scf.io/en/documents/082_-_LTE_eNB_L1_API_definition.php

This is the Layer 1 API between the PHY and the MAC/RLC layer.  This is
_very_ far from the Iuh interface.  Compare it with the L1SAP interface
of OsmoBTS.  And Iuh is on th level of the A interface, not even Abis.

Also, this API is for LTE, not for UMTS.

> Do we know any femtos on the market that actually is compatible with
> this API? And if we have one, can that help us?

You can find transceiver hardware + PHY implementations that offer this
L1 API.  However, that is not a complete (femto/small) cell, but the
hardware plus the PHY.

I don't think anyone will quickly come about and implement all the
missing layers, so in the context of developing a NITB with Iuh
interface, it doesn't really help.

> Or maybe you have some specific models in mind you always wanted to
> try but never had the time? If you have any recommendations I would be
> happy to look into them.

I haven't really looked at any femtocells for a very long time.