Using Gerrit for libosmocore/lib../OpenBSC?

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 13:40:35 UTC 2015

Hi Holger,

I've never used Gerrit for real, but I assume it's similar to Github's
review tools. And if so - there is one more bonus when using it - you
can navigate code around the change to get more context if you're not
super familiar with that place in the code. Plus highlighting really
makes things easier to read than in plan text e-mails.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like code-review around mailinglists (mostly everybody can read and learn from
> comments or code), it shows that people collaborate and that we move forward.
>
> What I don't like about the current workflow is that we need to manually close things
> in patchwork after applying/rejecting/ignoring a patch and that to see if it compiles and
> works are done after the review and by the person that applies the changes.
>
> In other projects I have used Gerrit and besides it being a Java monster found it
> quite okay to use. One strength is that one can directly push the changes for a branch
> for review, the other is that Jenkins and Gerrit can collaborate. This means that after
> a commit is pushed make, make check, make distcheck can be executed. Comments
> will always be attached to a line and not be lost due me quoting and removing parts
> of the mail.
>

> What I am not sure about:
>
> * How do the email notifications look like? E.g. do we just get a "Somebody has
> commented" mail or do we get diff + comment sent here? In OpenOCD I see there
> is an email with the diff[1] but no mail with the comments.
> * Shall we support direct pushes? I think specially in the beginning we should but
> the branch name for that would change.
> * A change that impacts libopenbsc+OpenBSC is difficult to represent. It would break
> "the" build but I don't see any other way.
>
> Is there enough consensus to give it a try?
>
> holger
>

> [1] http://sourceforge.net/p/openocd/mailman/message/34646766/

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves, Inc.