Using Gerrit for libosmocore/lib../OpenBSC?

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Thu Nov 26 11:03:04 UTC 2015

Hi,

I like code-review around mailinglists (mostly everybody can read and learn from
comments or code), it shows that people collaborate and that we move forward.

What I don't like about the current workflow is that we need to manually close things
in patchwork after applying/rejecting/ignoring a patch and that to see if it compiles and
works are done after the review and by the person that applies the changes.

In other projects I have used Gerrit and besides it being a Java monster found it
quite okay to use. One strength is that one can directly push the changes for a branch
for review, the other is that Jenkins and Gerrit can collaborate. This means that after
a commit is pushed make, make check, make distcheck can be executed. Comments
will always be attached to a line and not be lost due me quoting and removing parts
of the mail.

What I am not sure about:

* How do the email notifications look like? E.g. do we just get a "Somebody has
commented" mail or do we get diff + comment sent here? In OpenOCD I see there
is an email with the diff[1] but no mail with the comments.
* Shall we support direct pushes? I think specially in the beginning we should but
the branch name for that would change.
* A change that impacts libopenbsc+OpenBSC is difficult to represent. It would break
"the" build but I don't see any other way.

Is there enough consensus to give it a try?

holger

[1] http://sourceforge.net/p/openocd/mailman/message/34646766/