OpenBSC on CalypsoBTS without voice

Вадим Яницкий axilirator at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 15:02:36 UTC 2015

Hello, Harald, thanks for the answer.

first of all, CalypsoBTS is not an active / maintained / stable solution
> but more lik an (mindbogglingly amazing!) Hack.

Yes, I know that CalypsoBTS is not stable solution. But currently I am a
student and I have no so much money to buy anything more powerful.
Furthermore, I am interested in this for research purposes only, not for
creating public land mobile networks.

As you are the first person to report using the code to this list for
> quite some time, it would be great if you had some time to re-base, test
> and submit it.

As I previously said, I also tested master branches. Here are the results:
* When I start OsmoBTS I often see this message in OpenBSC log: "Lost some
E1 TEI link: X X" from bsc_init.c. In this case my MS can not connect to
the test network and I have to restart OsmoBTS until this message will no
hide.
* When the Location Update process I always see this error:
"input/ipaccess.c:277 Bad signalling message,sign_link returned error". But
a phone successfully registers in the network.
* SMS, USSD and Silent SMS works fine.
* When TS1 assigned TCH/H I can call to another ms or LCR. DTMF works.
* When TS1 assigned TCH/F I can use FR codec and call to LCR.
* PDCH does not work on this BTS.
* RRLP works.
* ISMI detach works but as in case of Location Update I see "Bad signalling
message..." error.
* It seems, the network works more stable when battery capacity is 100% and
backlight is disabled.

If I understood correctly, osmobts-trx was just moved from obsolete
repository to the master. Now I am reading the source code and trying to
fix this bugs.

I have one thing in my mind for a long time. Is it possible to serve a PDCH
lchan on TS1 instead of TCH (in case of this "powerful" BTS)? I have tested
OsmoSGSN+OpenGGSN with one PDCH channel on TS1, but it did not work.

With best regards,
Яницкий Вадим.