GPRS, EDGE support

Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras ralph at schmid.xxx
Wed Jan 29 07:23:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

> Note that the USRP1-WBX combination does not support LO offset or IQ
> imbalance compensation; those factors will be your largest source of
overall
> signal distortion. In regards to the harmonic distortion, it seems that
the
> concern is over spurious free dynamic range (SFDR) of front end
> components, which is more of an issue of wideband RF design than SDR in
> general. Similar issues can exist in any wireless system - SDR or not.

Yes, sure, this is normal behavior.

> I will certainly not deny that spurious signals exist in USRP-type boards
or that
> passband filters are used in commercial products. My only issue is the
claim
> that a narrow tuning range limited by front end filters is a mandatory
> requirement for suitable spectrum compliance. A huge number of frequency

I see more problems in the receiver stages, and there parameters are also
mandatory during compliance tests.

> bands is required by current and future wireless services and attaching a
> fixed RF filter for every individual band in use is not a sustainable
approach.
> There has been a very significant amount of development in flexible RF
> design over the past decade in order to address these issues, which I do
not
> think should be ignored.

Of course, this is true, but do not forget the strong signals that come
backwards, from
other transmitters at a populated antenna site. Those can do nasty things in
the PAs,
so some filters and isolators can hardly be eliminated. A high power
wideband system
out in the wild is another beast than hooked to your lab setup.

 >   -TT

Ralph.