Control interface and counters

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Sat Jan 25 21:08:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 07:01:57PM +0400, Ivan Kluchnikov wrote:
> Hi Holger,

Dear Ivan,

> Thank you for advice.
> Can you give me example?
> Which command I should use to read counters?
> I can't find any documentation for these commands.

Please take a look at libctrl/control_if.c and search for counter.
When we were designing the control interface we really didn't want
to write one command per counter. So there is a command installed
for "counter *" and "rate_ctr *". This gives access to all counters
by name.

E.g. using the example script we wrote you can do:

$ ./contrib/bsc_control.py -g counter.net.paging.expired -p 4249 -d localhost
Got message: GET_REPLY 1 counter.net.paging.expired 0

What is missing from the control interface is for a command to
describe itself. Maybe you have the time to implement this feature?
The output could be similar to the XML generated by the VTY. A command
could have an additional function to describe itself, the parameters
and such.

holger