GPRS roaming

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Jul 23 00:50:14 UTC 2013

Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> > So far I yet have to see anyone else making any reasonably sized
> > contribution to the sgsn.
>
> Well, that's not surprising, given the (low) number of users of
> OpenBSC in general and (negligible) number of people willing to
> have GPRS.

Do you mean "wanting" ? In that case my experience disagrees with
you; henever I've run a network with OpenBSC there was always at
least one person asking for data.

> As I said, we need to do more work on making Osmocom more visible
> and increasing community. So far Osmocom is far behind OpenBTS in
> terms of visibility, community size, number of paying clients, etc.

Community is what it is. There seem to be very few competent
developers in both projects.

Paying clients have nothing to do with the open source projects as
such, since the projects are not a company. Companies which want to
market products and solutions based on osmocom projects are free to
do so.

> You may disagree, but IMHO the way to improve situatioin is to have
> support for cheaper hardware (hello SDR) and easy to use support for SIP.

No - that is just the way to increase the number of paying clients
for your particular company.

And besides, I find lcr quite easy to use. With literally no telco
background other than two years of playing with SIP I managed to
learn it in about a day at the camp in 2011. I taught lcr to one
other person in about two hours some months ago. It is not very
complicated.

Really, what osmocom needs is IMNSHO competent contributions. How you
pay for them is your problem, if you want to contribute something.

//Peter